Orla Mining Ltd. is a TSX-listed company developing the Camino Rojo Oxide Gold Project, an advanced gold and silver open pit heap leach project located in Zacatecas State, Mexico. Orla also owns the Cerro Quema Project in Panama which includes a near-term gold production scenario. Additionally, it also owns substantial gold resources and has large concessions for exploration.
Our strategy is to build a gold company through the exploration and acquisition of assets that we can develop and operate in a way that provides benefit for the shareholders, employees, and the societies where we work.
Orla has an opening for a VP Technical Services. The candidate will be responsible for exploration, studies, and operating practices; using science to enhance the value of the company. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the ideal candidate has strong exploration experience within a producing mining company, is fluent in Spanish, has high energy, and is prepared to travel frequently.
- Direct responsibility for the exploration strategy globally
- Direct responsibility for annual reserves and resources reporting
- Leads a team of employees and consultants to deliver all necessary study work for asset development
- Indirectly responsible to optimize the technical operating practices at sites to achieve continuous improvement
- Developing the systems, policies, procedures, and templates that direct exploration, studies, and technical improvement
- Guide site leaders to success through knowledge, advice, mentorship, and sharing the workload
- Assemble and communicate monthly information related to exploration, studies, and technical operating performance that allow the sites and executive team to make decisions that direct the company
- Build/maintain relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels within the organization to create a productive culture
- Build/maintain relationships with external stakeholders at all levels of society to create a positive company reputation
- Provide support to corporate development efforts by providing geological input and analysis of mineral properties
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in geology (P.Geo/QP designation)
- 15+ years’ experience including leading exploration in a producing mining company
- Strong management and leadership skills with a high degree of accountability
- Exploration management experience (Safety, Environment, People, Cost, Schedule)
- Study management skills (NI 43-101, ESG, Geology, Mining, Processing, Risk, Economics)
- Analytic, quantitative, and systemic approach to thinking converted into practical application
- Ability to prioritize, manage tasks, and meet deadlines
- Ability to collaborate within an executive team
- Financial acumen to develop budgets and then assess key metrics to produce financial performance
- A proven track record of discovery
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively present and communicate key technical, financial, safety, environmental and social matters to employees, the board, and other stakeholders
- Experience in working in Latin America is preferable
- Must speak English and Spanish
How to Apply
Send us a PDF of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VP Technical Services – Your Name” in the subject line. Only applicants who have the specified skills and experience will be considered.